Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Happy What?

Oh yeah.... Happy Valentines Day. 

I have never been great at Valentines Day. Especially before I was married, I forgot it was V-day every year.
I could never understand why some of my roommates would mope around, it's just like any other day, right?

Well I was going to tell you how I semi-botched / it was the best valentines day ever three years ago.

But I will start out by telling you how I already ruined today. 

It's 7:42am.

If after I feed Bridget she goes back to sleep then so do I. So I am rarely up when Trevor leaves for work. But for some reason after I fed her at 7:00 I couldn't go back to sleep so I came downstairs to start writing my valentines day post.

Nope, I didn't even think: "It would be really nice if I made breakfast, or pack a lunch or something for Trevor today."
I just came down and sat on my booty.

Well I heard Trevor go out into the garage so I thought he was grabbing a tool or something. 
He often needs tools when he is pouring himself a bowl of cereal. No, but really it didn't throw me off that he would be out there, he loves his garage.
What did make me curious was how long he was out there. I kept thinking, "is he trying to paint a coat on the dresser before work? He is going to be so late!"

So I went out to see what he was doing. 
He whirled around with the guiltiest face. 
It was like a caught a 4-year-old scribbling with permanent marker on my walls.

He had a beautiful rose in his hand.

"Oh no! I am so sorry! I was wondering what was taking you so long, I came out to help."

"You aren't supposed to even be awake right now!"

I spoiled the surprise. 
He also got me a box of chocolate covered strawberries and a beautiful card. 

My awful timing aside, he is an incredible man. I am so lucky to have him.

Which brings me to...Valentines Day 2009:

I actually need to rewind about a month. 
In January 2009 Trevor and I had been dating for a while and we started talking about getting married. 

I felt it necessary to tell him
"When you propose don't do anything too cheesy or cliche."
"Like what?" he asked.
"Well, like on Valentines day or anywhere near a temple."

You see we had met while going to school at BYU-Idaho, and I am going to throw out a statistic here and say 70% of engaged couples got engaged on temple grounds. 
Basically I had felt like it was overdone and I wanted something a bit more original.

So what did he do?
I am sure you have picked up on the foreshadowing here, but like any romantic comedy I will go on even though you know what's going to happen.

His family came down from Idaho to go through the open house for the draper temple before it was dedicated. 
It happened to be on Valentines Day. 
My parents also decided to come with us and as we were all walking though the temple we got to the sealing rooms. 
There was an usher standing near an altar in the middle of the room, he caught eye contact with me and Trevor and waved us over. 

He started whispering "look into the mirrors, they are placed that way so it looks as if you go on forever. It's symbolic."

I whispered back: "It's beautiful. Actually we are going to be married here in June."

(I was one of those girls who had already scheduled and picked out a date before I even had a ring on my finger.)

"Oh wow, congratulations." he responded.

"Yes just one thing left to do." Trevor piped in.

Then he turned to me and knelt down on one knee and asked me to marry him.

"Are you kidding me?" was my reply. 

Because you see, I thought it was a joke. He was doing exactly what I told him not to do. 

When I realized the little box in his hand with a gorgeous diamond ring inside meant it wasn't a joke I quickly replied with an emphatic "Yes!"

When he got up to hug me he was sweating excessively.
I was concerned so I asked, "Are you ok?"
 
"I thought you were going to say 'No'."

Oops.

Poor guy has to deal with me everyday of the year.

He proved me a fool though because it was the most wonderful Valentines day I ever had.



You can't take pictures inside the temple so here is a picture of the room we were in when he proposed. It was so memorable and sweet. 

I LOVE YOU TREVOR MILLAR!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh that is so sweet!! I remember hearing the story but it is more fun to hear you tell it!! And Happy Valentine's Day today as well! It sounds like it is off to a great start.

    ReplyDelete