Friday, November 11, 2011

No Such Thing as Job Security


I know with these tough economic times more and more of us are realizing that job security is an illusion.


But I am in a perfect situation, maternity leave. 


What I know about the Family Medical Leave of Absence Act is that I can take up to 12 weeks off work (unpaid) for the birth of my child and my position would be guaranteed for me when I got back. 


So my job is protected for me by the law. 
You can't get more secure than that.
 Right? 
Wrong.


A little over a week ago I was laid off from my job at xango. 


I wasn't the only one laid off many people were, and each person obviously needed their job. 


But I was the only one laid off while on maternity leave, and as you can imagine me being laid off spread through the office like wild fire. 


There is no such thing as job security.


When I got the phone call I was nursing my sweet baby girl. I entered the conversation thinking it was the girl who was temporarily taking over my job responsibilities, she usually called or emailed me several times a week with questions. 


It was not her on the other line.


It was so unexpected that I was incredibly chipper and understanding the whole time. When I hung up it started to sink in.


I don't have a job anymore. 


I had 2 weeks left of my maternity leave and then I was going to go back part-time for a little while before starting back up full-time. 


Every Monday I would get a pang of deep sorrow when I looked at my sweet Bridget and thought, I have to leave you (But she is so little!!!) in four weeks.... (She can't survive without me!) in three weeks.... (I can't survive without her!) in two weeks.....   


It didn't matter that it would only be for two hours everyday and she would be with her Grammy, It was the hardest thing I think I would ever have to do.


So when I hung up the phone and started to cry, I had to make myself evaluate these tears. What kind were they? 


Sure enough, they were tears of joy.


Luckily we started to really tighten our budget and make sure everything would be taken care of with Trevor's income while I was on maternity leave. So for now I am a stay at home mom! OFFICIALLY!


BUT it didn't matter that the situation is perfect for me in the end, it always hurts to be rejected. 


Doesn't matter if it's personal or business, it always feels personal.


However, being laid off is way easier than being FIRED. 
Which reminds me of another story. 
The story of when I was fired from Ross Dress for Less. 


It's a good one. 
So stay tuned.


But for now, I'll get back to my job....




I will continue to look for another job, probably something part-time that I can do from home.

1 comment:

  1. Jet Blue! Then you can come see me! We will go to the Met, eat hotdogs and frolic around central park, with baby b of course!

    ReplyDelete