Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Day 20: I would love to travel

A picture of somewhere you would love to travel:
I am sure I may have mentioned it, but I LOVE TO TRAVEL.

By the time I was 19 I had backpacked Europe for a month and 2 years later moved to Paris for a semester to study French and Art. I would go anywhere anytime. I'm serious, even North Dakota as long as it meant I was going somewhere new... embarking on an adventure. Although I am up for anywhere, I hold a very special spot in my heart for Europe.


But of all the countries I have been to in Europe I have not been to:

SPAIN!


There is so much art, architecture, and culture in Spain. I mean just look at this church built, well designed and started, by Antoni Gaudi in Barcelona:

Isn't this fantastic? It looks like it's melting!



The Sagrada Familia was first started in 1882, Goudi became involved with the project in 1883 and worked on it until his death in 1926, he left detailed instructions on how it should be completed and they are still working on it to this day.


Gaudi had a distinct "art nouveau" style that can be found in architecture all over Barcelona.


Perhaps this was an inspiration on Dr. Seuss's style?



Also home to Madrid Spain is the fascinating piece by Hieronymus Bosch The Garden of Earthly Delights.

There are a few works of art that I could stand in front of for hours and feel like I just got a taste of the piece, and this may very well be on the top of that list.

It is an absolutely incredible piece, a triptych; with the left panel depicting Adam and Eve, the center is basically mortality, and the last panel illustrates damnation according to Bosch.

When you first look at this do not be alarmed, as it has a bit of a repulsive "this isn't normal" feel to it. But give it a chance, start looking at the details and it will be hard to stop.


The Mosque of Cordoba:


Breathtaking isn't it?


I believe Guernica by Picasso is also breathtaking, but perhaps in a slightly different way.
Spain houses an impressive collection of art from the great Picasso to other incredible Spanish artists like Velazquez and Goya there are many "MUST SEES!"



Another place I would love to go to with Trevor is back to where he served his mission:



Vanuatu

South Pacific

I guess if I have to I'll go. :)

1 comment:

  1. April--I have not been to Barcelona but I have been to the other places in Spain you mentioned and seen the sights you want to see. Someday I hope you get to go there as well. As for the picture--Garden of Earthly Delights--when we were at the Museum we had a guide who did not take us to that picture, but I really wanted to see it. For some reason I had a morbid sort of fascination with it. When I did see it, I couldn't believe I was actually there! Wes just thought it was bazaar. I am so glad to learn that you feel the same way as I do.

    I also love traveling. I love experiencing new things and cultures and meeting new people. And I have ALWAYS wanted to go to Vanuatu. I couldn't believe it when I learned Trevor went there on his mission. Someday I am going to go there I am sure. Maybe as a missionary as well. :-)

    ReplyDelete